परमाणु परममहत्त्वान्तोऽस्य वशीकारः॥४०॥
As a result of practicing the meditations mentioned in the previous sutras, the mind becomes calmer and clearer (citta sthairyam), mastering (vasikarah) the art of meditation over any object, regardless of how great (parama) or miniscule (parama-anu) it may be.
PRACTICAL LIVING The ideal scenario is that we are gradually experiencing more and more moments of calmness and clarity throughout our months, weeks and days. The previous sutras suggested various objects to meditate on in order to help us focus the crazy monkey-mind. These practices are hopefully being extended to our mundane activities. In other words, this sutra is saying that as we develop more self awareness and as a result, understand and accept the nature of the mind, we become calmer. It then becomes easier to focus during our meditation sessions on the mat (or not) using more abstract concepts such as the breath, love, kindness…as well as focusing on our mundane activities such as brushing our teeth, vacuuming, driving or making coffee. Gradually, our days are like a string of Christmas lights, connecting moment after moment of calmness and awareness.
IN THE YOGA WORLD The practices that we do in yoga include many different layers. We can experience anything from the tip of our tongue to the most profound inner peace within. This sutra is telling us that the results of our practice can be seen in several parts of our lives:
– both our relationships with others and with ourselves.
– our attitude towards life itself: can we embrace both the “tiny” successes as well as the “big” ones?
– mastery of yoga poses on a mat goes from savasana (lying down on your back) to sukhasana (cross-legged seated) to sirsasana (headstand) – from the “easiest” to the “hardest” poses.
– from simply being aware of the natural rhythm of the breath to practicing complex breathing techniques.
– sitting down to savor a refreshing glass of orange juice to cooking a gourmet meal.
– or directing our attention and being devoted and deeply engaged with anything we decide to do, from saving someone else’s life to painting our living room wall.
Allow your daily meditation practice lead you to embrace life fully, from a great laugh with a friend to going for a walk on a cool winter day!
INSPIRATIONAL PERSON Apart from being a loved and wonderful yoga teacher, Davidzinho is simply a decentand well-intentioned human being. His practice is reflected anywhere from his interaction with students and co-workers to his engaging group classes, to being a magnificent director to a yoga teacher training program. From “big” to “small”, his interactions glow with love, with energy, with commitment. Working with you is delightful! Your communication, even through email, is so kind, so thoughtful. Thank you for taking the reigns to the program with so much grace, so much love, so much devotion! Love you man 🙂
Do you have any experiences you would like to share? Please interact as much as you like – everyone will learn from your personal experiences!
Thanks and next week we will look at how when the mind is calm, it is very similar to that of a clear crystal.